Q: In addition to fire fighting, what services does the MVFD provide?
A: MVFD volunteers are actively involved in our community.
- Home fire-safety checks are conducted as requested by members of the community. Contact the chief or deputy chief if you are interested in this service.
- Smoke detectors are provided to those home owners who need and cannot afford them.
Q: How can I make a tax-deductible donation to the MVFD?
A: Donations are always welcome! Checks can be mailed to: Meriden Volunteer Fire Department, P.O. Box 337, Meriden, NH 03770
Q: What kinds of volunteers are needed?
A: MVFD is your department. We need help in many areas.
- Level I Firefighters are prepared to fight structural and wildland fires. The State provides 120 hours of training which is supplemented by regular training exercises at the station. Level I firefighters are the backbone of our volunteer department!
- Driver / Pump Operators are needed. These volunteers must get our trucks to a fire and get the water flowing. A commercial drivers license (CDL) is required to drive the trucks. Training to operate the pumps will be provided at the station.
- Apprentice Firefighters provide support at a fire site by getting equipment ready and by providing support to the firefighters outside of the “red zone.” Equipment and safety training will be provided at the station.
- Station Helpers provide support at the station. They can be equipment managers, computer operators, bookkeepers, cleaners, or just be available for “duties as assigned.” (If you have a special skill and wonder if we might need your help, ASK!)
Q: How do I find out more about volunteer opportunities?
A: Contact the chief, deputy chief, or any of our corporate officers for more information and/or for an application. Or just drop by at one of our business meetings (2nd Monday of the month at 7:30pm) or at one of our training drills (1st and 3rd Monday of the month at 7:00pm.) Feel free to print an application, complete it, and bring it with you! You can also mail the application to Meriden Volunteer Fire Department, P.O. Box 337, Meriden, NH 03770.
Q: What are the requirements for volunteers?
A: All volunteers must be 18 years old, of good character, and physically able to complete their duties.